2019 Mercedes-Benz GLC first drive review

The super-desirable GLC is the Mercedes take on the prestige mid-size SUV, and that means it competes with other super-desirable SUVs like the Audi Q5 and BMW X3. It’s been one of Merc’s best-selling cars over the last four years, and obviously the company wants to keep it that way. That’s why the car has just undergone an extensive mid-life facelift to give a new look, new engines, better efficiency figures and lots more besides. Auto Trader’s Road Test Editor, Ivan Aistrop, travels to Frankfurt in Germany to see if it’s any good.
Subscribe for more videos from Auto Trader every Friday: bit.ly/1AqiIny
Don't forget to click the notifications button so you'll be the first to see any new videos.
Auto Trader is the UK’s largest automotive marketplace for buying and selling new and used cars, and our MERCEDESBENZ channel will help make finding your next vehicle easier than ever.

Every week, we’ll present the latest new car reviews, covering everything from supercars to superminis. Our motoring experts write jargon-free verdicts, cover real-world practicality, recommended specifications and reveal the real cost of ownership.
We also ask some of Britain’s most passionate drivers to share their stories, along with news, advice, Best ofs, used car guides and motorcycle reviews.
Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk
Facebook: autotraderuk
Twitter: AutoTrader_UK
Instagram: autotraderuk

Comments

• VAEP Vapor Shop
    VAEP Vapor Shop29 days ago

This review is of the 2020 GLC, not the 2019 model.

• Will Murray
    Will Murray4 months ago

Rather have a high spec XC60

• Don Snead
    Don Snead8 months ago

I drove the glc 300 4matic with the amg package, the leather and most options. Love it. But the infotainment system sucks

• Don Snead
    Don Snead8 months ago

I want one. The Gl

• britney lulol
    britney lulol11 months ago

what is this exact model called?

• True Conservative

True Conservative

10 months ago

I think its the 300d premium plus ultimate

• Geoffrey Hughes
    Geoffrey Hughes11 months ago

Does it still crab

• Benjamin Portnoy
    Benjamin Portnoy11 months ago

I can't find the Cheeky Thumbs Up button.

• Paul Bonifacio
    Paul Bonifacio11 months ago

I think its more of a luxury compact suv, not midsize.. thats the gle,x5,Q7,rx category already

• Trevor Y

Trevor Y

10 months ago

Noway. Its definitely a midsize! Gle is large! Get with the program.

• MaZEEZaM
    MaZEEZaMYear ago

I like the vehicle but I’m not a fan of the plonk on the dash screen, I much prefer the integrated version of other models.

• Vinnie T
    Vinnie TYear ago

Prefer more comments on bad things ... not just all the good which is more Sales based.

• Lisa Black Cat
    Lisa Black CatYear ago

looks dated already especially the back

• Shane Crilly
    Shane CrillyYear ago

Amazing car with an unbeaten interior and looks

• Axi
    AxiYear ago

Do the door locks go down when locked so you can rest your arm when the windows down without a pin in your elbow?! Small pet peeve

• Jean Schaak

Jean Schaak

Year ago

Yes, door lock as soon as you hit 10kmh and pins go down

• JH P
    JH PYear ago

Idk.. facelift is always not to buy option.. wait for the new one everyone

• Ride & Live
    Ride & LiveYear ago

Once one of those many millions transistors goes boom in this car you are stuck on the road and is facing $6k bill from Benz company.

• Douglas Hay
    Douglas HayYear ago

Thank

• M. M
    M. MYear ago

Looks shitty af

• Robert Langham
    Robert LanghamYear ago

Any idea of cost?

• leedstown

leedstown

11 months ago

300d will be around 40k but if you buy at a year old will be 32k ish

• FM London
    FM LondonYear ago

“All I see is bootcuts”😂

• Gary Taylor

Gary Taylor

5 months ago

😂

• RandomTechS@#T
    RandomTechS@#TYear ago

Why did they even bother to facelift this thing?

• Domi_dieDogge
    Domi_dieDoggeYear ago

Why "super-desirable"? Personal opinion or based on sales numbers? Either way, I don't agree.

• Ryan Angkasa
    Ryan AngkasaYear ago

So the GLC gets the new Mercedes infotainment system while the revised C class gets the old one Good job Mercedes

• Stephen Isaac

Stephen Isaac

Year ago

Ryan Angkasa yes because the new c class is coming soon as the glc needs to keep selling strong for a couple more years before its replacement so they gave it the fresher infotainment to give it stronger staying power

• Mario Gloria Filho
    Mario Gloria FilhoYear ago

I want one!😁

• Claire Taylor
    Claire TaylorYear ago

bmw x3 looks much better imo

• A M
    A MYear ago

Price?

• P Id

P Id

Year ago

Alexsandr Malkov 4:40

• George Costanza
    George CostanzaYear ago

What colour was on that test car? It mostly looked black, but at 0:33 there was a bluish, purplish hue in the sunlight👍

• Wayne Lu
    Wayne LuYear ago

2019 glc 350e has outdated screens and system. Thanks.

• Tommy Olsen
    Tommy OlsenYear ago

Best in class😍

• Mikey
    MikeyYear ago

4 Major cities are banning diesel-powered vehicles by 2025. Looks like Mercedes are not affected!!

• leedstown

leedstown

11 months ago

There not banning you will have to pay to drive through

• JELH

JELH

Year ago

They are only banning diesel vehicles that don't have a DPF unit, I think.

• Awais Ali
    Awais AliYear ago

Mercedes needs to fix up

• David Thomas
    David ThomasYear ago

Just yet another dull Merc. Yawn.

• MrMrp69 Pickering
    MrMrp69 PickeringYear ago

What a shame Mercedes haven’t given the GLC the new dual screen interior as in other models, even the A class! I was definitely considering a GLC 43 but it is now discounted. Porsche Macan GTS, BMW X3M?

• Oliver Miller

Oliver Miller

11 months ago

MrMrp69 Pickering but y ah true

• Oliver Miller

Oliver Miller

11 months ago

MrMrp69 Pickering oh sorry I’m just suspicious of everyone nowadays 😂

• MrMrp69 Pickering

MrMrp69 Pickering

11 months ago

@Oliver Miller Lol, I wish I wasn't old enough. In fact I've been driving 30 years plus and currently drive an 18 plate X5. I just thought given that even the A class has had the new Merc interior with the side by side screens which look amazing. Its slightly disappointing that the refreshed GLC hasn't had the same treatment.

• Oliver Miller

Oliver Miller

11 months ago

Maybe stop complaining your probably not old enough to own a car

• FactsFather

FactsFather

Year ago

Mik Ban Mercedes are no more reliable lol

• Ezra Pardede
    Ezra PardedeYear ago

Great review, but terrible facelift

• Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

Year ago

Indi Dog lol

• Blake Swan
    Blake SwanYear ago

Really love Ivans reviews. One of the better reviewers by far, great work! As far as the GLC goes, I'm a car guy but totally get the appeal of this SUV. Gorgeous inside and out with plenty of power and RWD characteristics. Not sure what more you can want honestly

• P J
    P JYear ago

sorry i left. thougt it was electric. who invests is fossil anymore?

• Juan Manuel Martinez

Juan Manuel Martinez

Year ago

@P J I never said it was better, you asked who and by it's popularity they certainly are still a good business case for manufacturers

• P J

P J

Year ago

@Juan Manuel Martinez So if 125k people buy/believe something, that means it is the best thing to do? interesting theory. So how many IS people where there?

• P J

P J

Year ago

@Dada Yeah, if you just want to look at it, or sit in it, an audi will do. Just don't try driving it for longer distances than 180 miles (no range or fast charging network), and accept heavy battery degradation. making it useless (& worthless) after 2-3 years. In short, compare it with an Leaf. Doesnt come close to Tesla technology.

• P J

P J

Year ago

ahh "real" car lovers. thats right. old, dirty, maintenace intensive, deepwater horizon, Iraq. thank you soo much.

• Juan Manuel Martinez

Juan Manuel Martinez

Year ago

Clearly Mercedes, given that 125.000 people bought the GLC only last year.

• Jamie Pickles
    Jamie PicklesYear ago

Great First Drive Review

• JELH
    JELHYear ago

Did Mercedes fix the crabbing problem or still crabs all over the place?

• vee M

vee M

Year ago

@JELH ohh yeah they came back with comfort nonsense to me as well! I’m totally feel u on that, Mercedes are fully aware of what they are doing and what is outrageous is they are ok with taking thousands of our hard earned cash! They will continue to do it for as long as they can get away with it.

• JELH

JELH

Year ago

@vee M What I find outrageous is that for years MB has been saying that it's a comfort issue and owners should fit winter tires during winter time. Heck, I'm embarrassed to admit that I even took Mercedes' side thinking "Yeah, maybe the customer is an idiot", but for Mercedes to come up and say that they are going to fix the steering knuckle to try to solve the problem, it means they really screwed-up the steering geometry when converting the GLC to RHD.

• JELH

JELH

Year ago

@vee M Well, they announced they are going to fix the steering knuckle. I hope the 2019 model doesn't crab like the previous one did. It's a problem that only affects the RHD models. LHD models don't suffer of crabbing.

• vee M

vee M

Year ago

@JELH unfortunately they haven’t, unless they did on some:(

• JELH

JELH

Year ago

@vee M Yours is the pre-FL model. Did they fix the steering knuckle?